Healthy high volume snacks that fill you up
Let’s be honest, snacking is one area where we tend to eat too much food and therefore calories but there is a way to eat high volume snacks with low calories.
So let’s talk about how to make sure snacking does not negatively impact any weight loss progress.
Should I snack?
Snacking is a personal preference.
Snack if you’re hungry between meals, don’t snack if you’re comfortable to wait until your next meal to eat.
Snacking is one area where we tend to eat too much food and therefore calories so it is important that if snacking works for you then you need to be choiceful in the snacks you choose.
What’s the best appraoch to snacking?
The volume eating approach is the best one to take with snacking, especially if you are very hungry. Choosing high volume snacks means you will eat enough food so that you feel full.
All of the below are high volume low calorie snacks. These snacks are also under 150 calories per serve.
Get the Free Satisfying Snack Guide:
32 High volume, satisfying snack ideas that will help you feel full for longer
Healthy high volume protein snack ideas
- Rice or corn cakes with cottage cheese and fruit
- Roasted fava beans or chickpeas
- Edamame beans
- Reduced fat yoghurt (dairy, soy, almond) +/- fruit
- Vegetable sticks &100g cottage cheese/quark
- Fruit with cottage cheese
Healthy high volume savoury snack ideas
- Vegetable sticks with salsa
- Vegetable sticks (from high volume foods list) with hummus or tzatziki
- Homemade roast or air fried vegetable chips
- Roasted chickpeas
Healthy high volume sweet snack ideas
- Fresh, frozen or unsweetened stewed fruit (link to high volume fruit list)
- Baked apple or pear, cinnamon and reduced fat yoghurt
- Watermelon with mint
A few more healthy snacking tips
- Serve yourself a plate instead of snacking straight from the fridge or pantry
- Before you are hungry do a self check-in to see if you are really hungry.
- Don’t include high calorie dense, nutrient poor snack foods in your regular shop at all – save these foods for special occasion shopping. Remember to stick to high volume foods that will fill you up.
- If you do have them at home regularly then place them in opaque containers towards the back of the cupboard.
- have a healthy high volume food list nearby to help you make good choices when shopping.
Recommended Reading On Eating For Volume:
- Volume Eating: The Eating Approach That Just Makes Sense
- 15 High Volume Foods That Will Fill You Up
- 5 Easy High Volume Recipes for Weight Loss Without Feeling Hungry
- Volume Eating and Weight Loss: The Perfect Combo
- Volume Eating VS Other Diets